HOME | BUY | RENT | SELL | LEGAL | PROPERTY JOBS | CONTACT
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: deposit issue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:21 pm 

Hi There,I'm helping my friend to ask a question here, hope someone can genously shed some lights!

My friend Dr. L owns a take away resturant in Manchester.One year ago, she sold it with 25 years lease to a trading company(yes, it registered as a trading company!)through an agent, for that she paid 4000 pounds to the agent. They have signed the contract for the deal,but her solicitor informed her, since it's a trading company,not a food one, the investigation may take a bit longer.The director from the company can't waite that long. So after a lot of negotiation, she agreed to sign a 6 months renting contract while waiting for the legal proceeding. For that she paid Dr. L 4000 pounds deposite and some rental fee.

However, the restuarant was completely empty for 6 months!Nobody ran it!Dr L knew nothing Until a theif broke into it. She had to repair the lost herself.

After 6 months, the trading company wanted to withdraw the deal and request the deposite back.To add more pains, they sue Dr L to court if she doesn't pay back the money.

Having lost the fee to letting agency, and theif,Dr L thinks it is nothing but wrong to refund the money. Futher more, they have signed the contract for 25 years lease.

So my question is, can she win the case in court or she'd better refund the deposit and admit unlucky?

Thanks!